Monday, February 26, 2018

I'm Still Proud To American

-
"I'm proud to be an American where at least I know I'm free. And I won't forget the men who died, who gave that right to me. And I'd gladly stand up next to you and defend her still today. 'Cause there ain't no doubt I love this land! God bless the U.S.A." ~ Lee Greenwood - (I'm Proud To American)

I've had this song running around in my head for a few weeks.  When it came on the radio, in years past, my chest would puff with patriotism.  Recently, my jaded ears have heard the anthem with irony rather than pride.

Our country is being governed by a President who's under constant investigation and a legislature who have lost the ability to compromise.  Before you think that I'm only blaming Republicans, Democratic lawmakers have banded together into a, "resistance," to oppose ANYTHING proposed by President Trump, as if they're characters from a Star Wars movie.

As a result, we're about to deport over a million people who grew up as Americans. Our lawmakers can't even agree on a way to keep our schools safe. A good number of them even want to arm teachers for crying out loud.

It's easy to look at a defunct government and lose faith in one's country.  I had.  Then, I pulled my head from my lower orifice and looked around.  The government is not America. We are America!  The preamble to the Constitution begins with the three words "WE THE PEOPLE." This country is not about the government, it's about the people.  I'm happy to report that the people, as a whole, are good.



Subject: Statue of Liberty | Date: 09/01/2005 | Photographer: Nicolai Schafer |This file is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 2.0 Germany.

Statista.com reports, "In spring 2017, the number of people who conducted volunteer work within the last 12 months amounted to 67.81 million in the United States." Millions of us give our time to deliver Meals on Wheels to shut-ins, mentor our youth as Big Brothers & Sisters, help the disabled, work in soup kitchens, staff volunteer firehouses, and perform numerous other tasks which keep America moving forward.

I'm personally surrounded by examples of such community mindedness.  For those readers who haven't guessed by now, I live with a severe disability.  I'd be in the tall grass without the selfless assistance of family and friends.  As a matter of fact, this blog is being made possible by the kindness of a volunteer.

My situation aside, I have friends who contribute to our country in an array of other ways.  They cook food for the homeless, organize blood drives, stock food bank shelves, and drive in funeral processions for military veterans.

While our elected officials are behaving like children and members of the mafia, the people are holding the country together. Most of us are doing our part to make our country a better place. That's something to be proud of.

"I'm Proud To Be An American," sung by Lee Greenwood - courtesy of YouTube

No comments:

Post a Comment