Tuesday, May 10, 2016

I Have To Speak Up

-
Back in October, I was on a coffee date with a friend of mine, and I kind of turned her off by talking politics.  I felt bad, so during the holidays I made a resolution to keep political opinions to myself.  Boy, did I pick the wrong year to make that resolution!
 Mr Donald Trump New Hampshire Town Hall
Subject: Mr Donald Trump New Hampshire Town Hall | Date: 08/19/2015 | 
Photographer: Michael Vadon |This file is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 2.0 Generic license.
I did quite well for the first four months of the year.  Then, Donald Trump became the presumptive nominee for the G.O.P., and I could no longer hold my tongue.  Sorry Mallorie.

OK, I wasn't going to vote Republican no matter who they put up, but this selection seems especially misguided.  Don't take my word for it though, look at some of his own statements.

1. “I will build a great wall – and nobody builds walls better than me, believe me – and I’ll build them very inexpensively. I will build a great, great wall on our southern border, and I will make Mexico pay for that wall. Mark my words.”

So, not only is he going to build a wall to keep an undesirable race of people out of our country, he's going to bill an already impoverished country for a project which they have NO say in.

2. “When Mexico sends its people, they’re not sending the best. They’re not sending you, they’re sending people that have lots of problems and they’re bringing those problems with us. They’re bringing drugs. They’re bring crime. They’re rapists… And some, I assume, are good people.” (sic)

First of all, Mexico isn't "sending" anyone. We're not being invaded by squads of Mexican operatives. Poor people are scrambling across our borders looking for hope. As for the idea that Mexicans are rapists, according to the Sexual Assault Report Online, "The average age of rapists at arrest is 31. Fifty-two percent are white."

3. “It’s freezing and snowing in New York – we need global warming!”

Science must be for them thar other folks.

4. "The point is, you can never be too greedy."

Now there's a fine example for our nation's youth.

5. “I was down there, and I watched our police and our firemen, down on 7-Eleven, down at the World Trade Center, right after it came down”

The World Trade Center fell on September 11 (9/11), 2001. I want a President who doesn't confuse a national tragedy with a place to buy Big Gulps and Slim Jims.

I chose these quotes from a list of many more at http://www.marieclaire.co.uk/blogs/550112/donald-trump-quotes.

Supporters of Trump say they chose him because, "he's not a politician."  This sounds good.  It brings forth mental images of Jimmy Stewart's Mr. Smith ripping the U.S. Senate a new one.

However, there's a problem with this kind of voter reasoning.  Politicians have made a career of politics, and they know how to work the system.  Donald Trump comes from the business world.  He's used to giving orders and having people obey, no matter what outrageous statements he makes.  Washington can't work that way.

No comments:

Post a Comment