Friday, March 6, 2015

Some Things Confuse Me

-
Some things in life confuse me.  I'm not talking about an inability to understand certain parts of quantum physics or not being able to read ancient Hebrew.  Those are things few people have mastered.  I mean there are parts of
McDonalds Chicken McNuggets
Subject: McDonalds' Chicken McNuggets | Date: 10/04/2011 | Photographer: Evan Amos |The copyright holder of this work, release this work into the public domain. This applies worldwide.
every day life which make me scratch my head and keep me awake at night.  A friend of mine tells me that thinking about such things is what causes my chronic headaches.  Maybe so.

The boast, "100% white breast meat," confuses me.  I get what they're claiming; their nugget or patty contains only white meat from the chickens' breasts.  Yet, when dark meat has so much more flavor, I'm not sure why only using blander white meat is considered to be a good thing.

The Bible confuses me.  I'm not referring  to its lessons or message; I personally believe the Bible to be a reflection of God's word.  However, in a literary sense, I don't understand

Photo courtesy of Amazon's Affiliate Program.
what constitutes a verse.  Using the English Standard Version, the Bible's shortest verse is the two word verse John 11: 35, "Jesus wept."

By contrast, its longest verse is the two sentence long passage Esther 8: 9, "The king's scribes were summoned at that time, in the third month, which is the month of Sivan, on the twenty-third day. And an edict was written, according to all that Mordecai commanded concerning the Jews, to the satraps and the governors and the officials of the provinces from India to Ethiopia, 127 provinces, to each province in its own script and to each people in its own language, and also to the Jews in their script and their language."

Just looking at these examples, one might say a verse is defined by the expression of a single idea.  If that's the case though, what do we do with single sentences which span more than one verse?   Acts 1: 1-2, "1 In the first book, O Theophilus, I have dealt with all that Jesus began to do and teach, 2 until the day when he was taken up, after he had given commands through the Holy Spirit to the apostles whom he had chosen."

I'm sure there's a highly technical answer explained within the dusty pages of some book housed in one of the Vatican's secret vaults.  Nevertheless, the inconsistency of the Bible's verse structure perplexes me. 

Extravagant pet products confuse me.  The production of such products doesn’t confuse me.  Big companies have found a cash cow, and they’re milking Bessie for all she’s worth.  It’s the American way, I get that.  It’s the demand for these trinkets that baffles me.

A well cared for pet needs a bed (a pillow or soft blanket will usually do), food, a bowl to eat out of, water a bowl to drink from, snacks to promote dental health & good behavior, somewhere to relieve itself (a clean litter box or ample yard), a brush, nail clippers, a collar, a leash, and a few toys.  That's it.  OK, I grudgingly concede to the idea of a tooth brush & paste, only because vets are recommending such things these days.  But, that's it. The rest, including dressing a pet and pushing them around in a stroller, seems silly to me.

I was at Target and thought I'd get some treats for my new puppy. Target has 2 entire aisles of dog & cat toys, food, and treats.


Photo courtesy of Amazon's Affiliate Program.
I saw balls of every conceivable color, including day glow colors, for dogs which can only see black & white.  There were balls with bells, squeaky balls,  mini-tennis balls, balls fastened to each end of a cylinder to mimic the shape of a bone, and a mind numbing array of other pet oriented balls.

I was equally surprised by the multitude of gourmet flavors pet snacks come in.  I saw animal snacks in; salmon & herring, venison & sweet pea, turkey & sweet potato, bison & lentils, free range chicken, and filet mignon with bacon; varieties.  Not that a dog would know a filet mignon from a skirt steak, but if Fido did score such a snack, he could finish it with Peanut Butter Flavored Frosty Paws Ice Cream for dogs from the frozen food aisle.

I'm perplexed by other things too, including commercials which treat viewers as stupid, people who go onto talk shows and court shows to air their dirty laundry, and Family Feud contestants who believe the dirtiest possible answer WILL BE on the survey board.  However, what really confuses me is the idea that very few people seem to be questioning any of these things.
-

No comments:

Post a Comment