Sunday, January 4, 2015

I May Be A Lazy Liberal

-
The other night, I ordered pizza for my nephews; 7 years old, 5 years old, and a year old; who were spending the night.  On Papa John's site, customers can order pizza and post said order on Facebook.  The post serves no logical purpose whatsoever, other than to broadcast one's tastes to one's friends.

On a lark, I posted, "I just ordered a cheese pizza for the boys, bacon pizza for the uncle, and pepperoni for grandma," along with Papa John's logo.

Within minutes, my friend, and liberal activist, Farrah responded with the comment, "Too bad their CEO is such a douche nozzle, I loved that garlic sauce."

She was, of course, referring to Papa John’s Pizza's CEO and founder, John Schnatter, who declared the company would cut jobs and raise the price of its pies if Obama-Care remains law.  My friend has apparently removed Papa John's pizza from her diet in response to Schnatter's stance on a social/political issue.  This got me to thinking about boycotted companies, in general.

David H. Koch
Subject: David H. Koch | Date: 10/05/2007 | Photographer: Fred Thompson | This file is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 2.0 Generic license.
Perhaps one of the most noted examples of a company targeted by activists is  Georgia-Pacific, which produces "Brawny" paper towels, "Angel Soft" toilet paper, "Mardi Gras" napkins and towels, "Quilted Northern" toilet paper and paper towels, "Dixie" paper plates, bowls, napkins and cups, "Sparkle" paper towels, and "Vanity Fair" paper napkins, bowls, plates and tablecloths.  Because the Koch brothers, David & Charles Koch regularly contribute to conservative candidates, which actively lobby against universal health care and climate change legislation, many concerned liberals boycott Georgia-Pacific products.

Similarly:
  • Parts of America have seen backlashes against the fast food chains In-N-Out Burger and Chick-fil-A for funding anti-gay marriage campaigns.
  • McDonald's is trashing the Amazon rainforest for cheap meat. 
  • Taco Bell was nailed for using ground beef which is only 88% beef.
After thinking about all these examples, I had to admit I'm a lazy liberal and a hypocrite.  While I boycott Walmart, and give friends a hard time for shopping there, in response to unfair labor practices, I have to confess I have Dixie Cups in my bathroom.

Not only do I have Dixie Cups in my bathroom, I order from Papa John's at least once a month because they're the fastest pizza delivery restaurant in my area.  It occurs to me though, as long as I'm not willing to give up my Dixie cups, anchovy pizza with 3 cheese blend, Jalapeño Double Cheeseburgers, or Double Decker Tacos,  I can't really chastise money strapped people for stretching a dollar at Walmart.

Once we establish that I'm not willing to give up my Dixie cups, anchovy pizza with 3 cheese blend, Jalapeño Double Cheeseburgers, or Double Decker Tacos,  and I'm no longer willing to chastise money strapped people for stretching a dollar at Walmart, I have to ask, "Am I part of the problem?"  Maybe I am.

There's no denying that David Koch, John Schnatter, Sam Walton, and other people I don't agree with are benefiting from my business.  Of course, a multitude of middle class workers, dependent on; Papa John's, Walmart, Georgia-Pacific, McDonald's, Taco Bell, and other companies; for their income, also benefit from my business.  I'm not sure that trying to withhold money from the conservative elite is worth putting hundreds of thousands of people out of work.

In the end, I'm going to enjoy my Dixie cups, anchovy pizza with 3 cheese blend, Jalapeño Double Cheeseburgers, Double Decker Tacos, and perhaps even stretch a dollar at Walmart.  Meanwhile, I'll campaign for candidates who share my values, and hopefully defeat men like Sam Walton, David Koch, and John Schnatter at the ballot box.  Isn't that the way it's supposed to work?

-

No comments:

Post a Comment